2023 Vizient PSO Topical Safety Webinar Series: Preventing “wrong” surgery events
The 2023 PSO Topical Safety Webinar series includes safety issues and associated interventions and approaches for identifying and preventing adverse events and patient harm. Subject matter experts share leading practices, process improvement strategies for mitigating risk and reducing harm, and metrics for monitoring improvement.
- Other Healthcare Professionals
- Discuss the use of a standard, high-performance checklist, and key recommendations in implementing the checklists to improve communication, teamwork and culture.
- Describe methods to monitor standard work and the surgical environment and mechanisms to provide feedback to help teams learn how to improve.
- Discuss ways to optimize perioperative processes to ensure that that the surgical team’s understanding of the implants intended to be used is consistent.
- Describe strategies for creating and sustaining a culture of safety within procedural areas and operating rooms to prevent serious safety events.
Identification, Mitigation, and Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
As an accredited provider of continuing education, Vizient, Inc. is dedicated to ensuring this activity presents learners with only accurate, balanced, scientifically justified recommendations, and is free from promotion, marketing, and commercial bias. In accordance with The Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education, all planners, faculty, and others in control of the educational content have disclosed the absence or existence of all financial relationships (of any dollar amount) with ineligible companies within the past 24 months.
It is Vizient’s policy that owners and employees of ineligible companies, and any individuals who refuse to disclose the absence or existence of financial relationships with any ineligible companies are disqualified from participating as planners or faculty.
Absence of Relevant Financial Relationships
- No one in a position to control the content of this educational activity have relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Statement of content validity
Vizient, Inc. educational activities are intended to assist healthcare teams advance their professional responsibilities in accordance with the definition of continuing education. It is the policy of Vizient, Inc. to review and ensure that all content and recommendations for patient care within accredited CE is evidenced-based, based on current science and clinical reasoning while ensuring the content is fair and balanced. All recommendations must conform to the generally accepted standards of experimental design, data collection, analysis, and interpretation. Vizient, Inc. does not permit accredited continuing education if it advocates for unscientific approaches to diagnosis or therapy, or if the education promotes recommendations, treatment, or manners of practicing healthcare that are determined to have risks or dangers that outweigh the benefits or are known to be ineffective in the treatment of patients.
FDA off-label/unapproved usage
Faculty/Presenters are required to identify any new and evolving topics for which there is a lower/absence of evidence base. This is to ensure that our content does not advocate for, or promote, practices that are not, or not yet adequately based on current science, evidence, and clinical reasoning. Faculty/Presenters are required to disclose any discussion of (1) off-label/unapproved or investigational uses of FDA approved commercial products or devices and/or (2) products or devices not yet approved in the United States.
The education provided through this activity is for continuing education purposes only. The views and opinions expressed in this activity are those of the faculty/presenters and do not necessarily reflect the views of Vizient, Inc.
- 1.00 ACPE Pharmacist
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 ANCC
- 1.00 General CE – Attendance