Matters of the Heart: Filling the Gaps in Heart Failure Treatment
It is an ongoing challenge for healthcare system and patients regarding high cost of patients with heart failure. These patients also have a high rate of morbidity, mortality, hospitalization, and re-hospitalization. Based on the pathophysiology of the HF, management is very different. Past studies have excluded patients with HFpEF since majority of trials shows no benefit, however, there has been an increased in the number of patients diagnosed with HFpEF. It is imperative that pharmacists keep up with updates guidelines, and investigational drugs to be able to manage these patients appropriately. This CE will go over recent guideline updates, and investigation drugs for the management of HFpEF and HFrEF.
- Pharmacy technicians
Pharmacist learning objectives
- Explain the prevalence of heart failure and the difference between heart failure with preserved or reduced ejection fraction (HFpEF or HFrEF)
- Examine the current recommendations for guideline-directed medical therapy (GDMT) for the treatment HFrEF, including emerging therapies
- Identify current treatment and management of HFpEF
- Summarize clinical trials of emerging therapies in the management of HFpEF
Pharmacy technician learning objectives
- Recognize current treatments and management of HFrEF and HFpEF
- Recognize doses of selected medication in the management of heart failure
- Relevant financial relationships: Planning committee members and presenters have nothing to disclose.
- The speaker will discuss off-label and investigative use of drugs.
- 1.00 ACPE Pharmacist
- 1.00 ACPE Pharmacy Technician