Improving Sepsis Mortality – Intermountain Healthcare
To drive improvement in sepsis mortality, Intermountain had to address diagnosis and rapid treatment for sepsis. Barriers included high false positive rate for diagnosing sepsis using electronic screening tools. Additionally, CMS data were lagging and captured only a small fraction of the sepsis cases. Individual attribution was lacking. Finally, identifying a process that would be flexible to accommodate different types of facilities (rural and critical access hospitals vs. large academic medical center) across a system was important. Thru their work, Intermountain saw increased sepsis bundle compliance, as well as improvements in sepsis mortality over the course of the work. Having Intermountain share their journey as well as lessons learned will help other members by having concrete tips that they can walk away with and implement in their organizations to see similar outcomes/improvements.
- Identify strategies to increase sepsis bundle compliance
- Describe methods to address barriers to diagnosing and rapid treatment for sepsis
- Demonstrate methods to improve sepsis mortality
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 ANCC
- 1.00 General CEU – Attendance