Vizient PSO 2022 Topical Safety Series - Preventing wrong side/site, wrong patient, and wrong procedure surgery
Perioperative experts will discuss how the use of cameras in the OR and high-performance checklists can improve adherence to the time out process and improve surgical safety.
1. Describe findings on wrong side/site, procedure, patient, and implant events submitted to Vizient PSO.
2. Discuss the use of video recording to monitor and coach the surgical team on improving timeout compliance and safe practices that result in optimal outcomes.
3. Discuss the structure of peer coaching for surgeons and the current evidence for leveraging it as a mechanism for promoting provider development and safety culture.
4. Describe key resources for promoting, implementing, and monitoring a surgical coaching program within their own institution.
Relevant financial relationships: Planning committee members and presenters have nothing to disclose.
Planning committee members
Ellen Flynn, RN, MBA, JD, CPPS
AVP, PSO Program
Tammy Williams, MSN, RN, CPPS
Kathryn Merkeley, MHSA, RN, PMP, CPPS
Jay Prystowski, MD, MBA
James Lichauer, Pharm.D., BCPS, FASHP
PI Program Director Pharmacy
Tammy Williams, RN, MSN, CPPS
Tammy King-Jones, PhD, RN, NE-BC
Chief Perioperative Services Officer, Associate Chief Nursing Officer
University of Arkansas for Medical Services
Robert (Trey) Sinyard, MD, MBA
Surgical Resident, Massachusetts General Hospital, Post-doctoral Researcher, Ariadne Labs
Massachusetts General Hospital
Joint Accreditation Statement:
In support of improving patient care, Vizient, Inc. is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
This activity is designated for 1.00 contact hours.
Vizient, Inc. is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP12580, for 1.20 contact hours.
Vizient, Inc. designates this activity for a maximum of 1.00 ACPE credit hours.
Universal Activity Number: JA0006103-0000-22-132-L05-P
Vizient, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) ™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Vizient, Inc. will award CEUs to each participant who successfully completes this program. The CEU is a nationally recognized unit of measure for continuing education and training programs that meet certain criteria (1 contact hour = 0.1 CEU).
- 1.00 ACPE Pharmacist
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 1.00 ANCC
- 1.20 CBRN
- 1.00 General CEU – Attendance