Mind on the Mend? Dexmedetomidine for Delirium in the ICU
This activity will provide background on the prevalence and negative outcomes associated with delirium in critically ill patients. We will discuss current practice guidelines on preventing and treating delirium in the ICU and focus on the literature supporting use of dexmedetomidine as a sedative agent with benefits on both duration and prevalence of ICU delirium. After completion of this presentation, pharmacists will have a better understanding of the role of dexmedetomidine as a sedative in the ICU with the added benefit of reducing delirium and improving other outcomes in patients by targeting light sedation.
- Recognize the current role of dexmedetomidine in the intensive care unit (ICU)
- Recall current practice guideline recommendations for the treatment and prevention of delirium in the ICU
- Summarize the literature regarding the use of dexmedetomidine for preventing and decreasing the duration of delirium
- Apply knowledge of dexmedetomidine use in ICU delirium to a patient case
- 1.00 ACPE Pharmacist
- 1.00 General CEU – Attendance