Don’t Sweat the Triple Threat: Breakthrough Therapy for Cystic Fibrosis
This activity will serve dual purposes. Cystic fibrosis was previously considered a pediatric disease given patient’s low life expectancy. However, with increasing life expectancy of these patients, it is crucial that both adult and pediatric pharmacists are familiar with this disease and current treatment modalities. This presentation will address the knowledge gap present for the adult pharmacists attending the activity. Moreover, this presentation will provide pharmacists the opportunity to learn about the CFTR modulators currently being used for patients with CF, including the most newly approved breakthrough therapy, elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor.
- Review the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and current treatment modalities for cystic fibrosis (CF)
- Discuss the role of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) modulators for the long term management of CF
- Evaluate current literature surrounding the use of elexacaftor/tezacaftor/vacaftor for patients with CF
- Compare FDA approved CFTR modulators and recognize key differences between agents
- 1.00 ACPE Pharmacist
- 1.00 General CEU – Attendance